Sunday 7 September 2008

Week 19 - Public Holidays

Hello everybody!
Well this week's main event has been the public holiday (National/independence day) which was on Tuesday 2nd September. Public officials (and us volunteers) had the day off, and whilst there may have been little in the way of any kind of festival or mass public celebration, I decided that I would celebrate by braving a motorcycle journey to the nearby city of Da Nang. My friend Dung came along and after a lovely drive along the coast road, followed by a nervous drive through the centre of the city to the park and lake, we parked the bike, and joined many other city dwellers sat by the lake. As it was a typically baking day... we got a drink (Dung had a Pepsi, which they poured into a plastic bag with ice, and a straw). Whilst sitting by the lake taking in the nice view, it took me a while to notice the dead fish floating at the lake shore.... nice eh! With me being perhaps the only westerner in the park, I was attracting attention, especially as I was with a Vietnamese girl, and I must admit it took me a while to relax, as it was clear people were talking about us, in a not so discrete manner.. nothing is done discreetly here! After a bit of sunning we headed off to watch the new Batman film 'the Dark night' which was great, before heading home, via a local noodle street cafe place... A late night (2300) drive back down the pitch black coast road, ensued, leading me for the first time in 4 months to feel cold.. it felt great!!!


(Pepsi in a plastic bag)

There have been more preparations for the mid Autumn festival (September 14th) with the sound of distant drumming becoming more and more common through the streets of Hoi An. Many dragon costumes can be seen in the shops, and kids are heard practicing drums all over.. apparently, kids will dance around in the dragon costumes and it customary to place money in the dragon's mouth.... hmm... this sounds like another money making scheme! Though perhaps a more genuine scheme than most here!

This weekend has been taken up with the return of my French friend Florence, and another friend of hers, and I mention this because yesterday we headed to the beach at her insistence for the crazy time of 0430... so I have added a couple of pictures to this weeks blog... I have to admit it was worth it to see the entire sunrise, and have a swim at such an early time in the morning!


(sunrise, Hoi An 0430)

I am wary of writing too much in this week's blog because my computer has recently started to just turn its self off, and it is obviously overheating, so despite my idea of sitting it on chopsticks to give some extra airflow, it is slowly dying a death, and I have been frantically trying to save all my photos in case my computer burns itself out! Any ideas would be welcomed by you technology wizards!

(parking in the supermarket, Vietnamese style)

I guess I should also mention I visited a Hospital in the city of Da Nang this week, with my American physio friend, and the purpose of this visit was to discuss the possibility of some work there, because the rehabilitation department wants to start delivering Occupational Therapy, so they were very keen to invite me to meet the director of the rehab department, when they learned there was an OT close by.... that's the kind of opportunity that can be available in a place like this, because I know if i tried to meet a hospital director back home, it would take a series of phone calls and probably a bribe along the way! (or an act of misconduct! - no reflection on Manchester Mental Health Trust there!). Oh and I also found another Occupational Therapist here in Hoi An, who is by chance working at the orphanage here... small world eh!

Ok my final mention must go to the England football team, who once again underachieved against the mighty Andorra, winning 0-2. Come on, lets get rid of Lampard and Downing, and not embarrass ourselves against Croatia on Wednesday, especially when I have to get up at 0145 to watch the bloody game!!!!

Regards from Vietnam
Dan

No comments: