Sunday 29 June 2008

Vietnam week 9 - My Birthday, Miss Universe & Hospital Openings!

Hello everybody, please get comfortable, it has been an extraordinary week here in Hoi An, this week, and not solely because of my birthday! Monday (my 29th birthday) started the weeks proceedings, with a trip to 'My Son' a national heritage site, with old ruins, surrounded by tree covered hills. myself and Anne (my ex-house mate from home), enjoyed a beautiful, if not hot, morning looking around the small set of ruins and enjoying the company of lizards and butterflies, before the tourists arrived! I ventured into work in the afternoon, to share the day with my great colleagues, who presented me and my colleague John (who had birthday 2 days before), with a gorgeous birthday cake, that said 'happy wedding day - john & dan'... hmm... the frivolity continued Monday evening, with a meeting at my colleagues restaurant at the tourist beach, before heading to a lovely local sea food place with some Vietnamese staff from work , and Caoimhe, Anne, Jo, Liz Carole, & John. Major event number one occurred here, as when myself and Anne on my motorbike, tried to set off, my motorbike shot forward, causing Anne to lose her balance, and in my rush to hit the brake (lever on the handlebar) I pushed the gas more, causing the bike to shoot forward again, this time hitting a stationary bike in front of me, and more seriously, one of the wooden beams that supported the roof of the restaurant.... all this in front of my colleagues family who owned the place, and three Australian OT students which just happened to be there at the restaurant! One of the pregnant Vietnamese workers, managed to help me dislodge my motorbike from the one I'd hit, before pushing the wooden beam back up to support the roof, i was just waiting for the ground to swallow me up, or the restaurant to collapse all around me!!! needless to say the next meal i have there will be expensive, if they let me back!!!
The next major event of the week, was without doubt the Miss Universe Parade that just happened to be here in Hoi An, we couldn't believe that a Miss Universe contest would be here as how would the make-up not run in this heat??? still the parade ran through the crowded streets as Miss Vietnam to Miss Peru were driven around the place until in true Vietnamese style, the temporary lighting rig, blew the fuse box a street corner, causing flames to go shooting up into the air! The police, who had until this point stood around the streets with batons, trying to keep the crowds away form the Miss Universe contestants, decided to try and regain some order, and pushed the crowd around a while. Having blocked most streets off which led to the main stage, local people were using their own local boats to cross the river to see the rest of the ceremony... following suit we jumped on a boat, crossed the river, and enjoyed beers with the rest of the locals whilst watching the beautifully decorated Japanese bridge (main stage area. That was until the Hoi An weather intervened, and the rain began to pour down, sending the Miss Universe woman running for cover, all live on tv!!!! After taking shelter in a local restaurant, we watched as the surrounding streets flooded, with several inches of water, and ensured a premature end to the Miss Universe debacle!

Lastly, and certainly not least, yesterday I was invited to attend the opening of the 'Rehabilitation wing' of the Binh Dan Hospital in Da Nang. Van (one of our physiotherapists) met me at 0800, (after a rather heavy night of drinking), and drove me 45 mins, on our rented motorbike to Da Nang, where we were met by Phuong (our other physio). After being seated on small plastic stools, as you are everywhere here, we had to endure hospital staff doing a bit of 'have a go karaoke', and then more hospital staff dancing a traditional dance. All very bizarre! After another hour of speaking a short tour ensued around the rehab facility, with Vietnamese TV camera's following me and an American Physio around, as we the only non- Vietnamese people there, other than the American representatives, who had set up this venture! A 3 course lunch was provided to help my now serious headache, unfortunately is was served with several can of Heineken beer!!! ow! You could hear me shout "Oh my kingdom for a sprite!"

Me and our 2 physios made our excuses after the meal and headed off for a cool fruit juice in a local cafe, before setting off home, where I had took the driving duties as Van, was actually falling asleep whilst driving the motorbike home!!! we got home safely, and i have since spent the weekend sleeping, recovering for the next week ahead!
it's a 0615 reply of the Euro 2008 final, for me tomorrow, and I have Spain in the sweep stake!!! Come on Torres!!!
Hope you all enjoy the blog!!!
Regards from Vietnam
Dan

No comments: